18 Feb 2011 Stormfront at Altona


Location : Altona
Kite : 10m Switchblade IDS
Conditions : 18 knots easterly


Got the three amigos together (Tarren, Pete and I) for an afterwork trip to Altona - the first kiting session for a couple of weeks.  It was a bit of a race to ensure that wind was still up and the rain had not yet hit.  Luckily we were able to hit the beach at about 5 with plenty of kiters out.  I was very excited to get out again - it felt like it had been a very long time coming.  I am still quite sick with bronchitis, but just had to do some kiting.


So, coughing and spluttering I set up.  Wind appeared quite light, but on the water it was perfect, enough to cruise and do some small jumps, which in my condition was about all I could handle.  Spent a lot of time coughing and finally managed to clear my lungs and started to feel good for the first time in 24 hours.  Being on the sea certainly helps.  
After some fun runs, looked up to see a massive spiralling storm front coming over.  I pointed it out to Tarren, who made a symbol for a cyclone - it looked very impressive.  On the next run I saw Tarren heading out to sea with a manical grin.  Wondering what was going on, I continued to head into shore to be confronted with an amazing sight - the top of the water had turned white from the heavy rain.  The kite was not responding at all well.  It was an epic experience of the power of the weather, it reminded me of being in a blizzard at Saas Fee with Thomas many moons ago.  A wonderful thing to see and feel first hand.


Not much kiting after this - no real progression today but a noteworthy session nonetheless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 05 07 - Hampton with a new Pete