2019 10 26 - Aspendale in honking wind - danger will robinson

met up with Stu S at 9am at Aspendale.  The forecast was for wild winds with gusts up to 50 knots.  We guessed they would accompany the storm fronts. We were half right.

One blew through just before I got there, but there was still plenty of wind.  I decided on Gnotuk St carpark to give us a bit more flexibility and backup in case we mucked up a launch - there are heaps of obstacles at Roycroft.  Got out and everything was smooth, strong wind with good jumps and a fun surf.  Did some rotational jumps and thought I'd try out one on my non preferred.  Felt all sorts of our of position and hit the loop early.  My lines went slack, enough for me to wrap one of the lines around the bar.  Of course the kite powered right up, looped and sent me flying.  Quick chance to try and free, then loop again, airborne.  I wasn't particularly panicked, I knew I just had to unloop the line.  Eventually found it, but by this time my kite has looped so much that when I got it in the air, it just looped again - and up goes Stuart into the hemisphere again.  Luckily the wind picked up to around 40 knots around now and I was really getting spanked.  I tried to untangle one way - made it worse, another loop and another flying superman.  Eventually worked out the right way to untangle, by which time I was miles from my board.  Super strong wind so I couldn't go upwind at all when bodydragging.  Even hard to hold onto it on the beach.  I waited while Stu valiantly searched for my board, but eventually had to pull the safety to land the thing.

Luckily Stu found my board, we were able to land both kites and adjourn to the Two Farmgirls cafe.  I was never really that worried even though it was strong wind and a tricky situation - it's the benefit of a bit of experience in tricky situations.  I always felt I could pull my safety and be ok, but I was keen to keep kiting.

Anyone, after another epic session its great to be alive !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 05 07 - Hampton with a new Pete