2018 12 28 - Brighton beginner carnage

It's been such a strange summer season, a horrible lack of sea breezes and really inconsistent wind.  When it blew up a little I was straight down the beach to try and grab an opportunistic session.  I headed first to Hampton, where it wasn't hitting the beach at all.  Then up to Brighton, where one guy was out and there seemed to be a little more on the beach in the straight southerly.  The only catch - heaps of people around and Brighton is really crap if you don't have enough wind as downwind is chaos -  a pier and a yacht club.

I launched and quickly jumped in the water, but soon realised there was not quite enough wind.  I went out a long way, and ended up on a tack just in front of the yacht club.  After about 30 mins, the wind picked up and I was suddenly able to get some air and pull some rotational tricks.  Perfect wind for looping so I did a lot of looping transitions and tried some new tricks from the trickbag.  To my amusement, two beginners/intermediates couldn't handle the wind conditions, insisted on launching anyway and got blown around the corner close to the pier.  A bad beach to pack down on.

Then a total numpty girl who obviously had had 1 or 2 lessons had launched and was trying to get going.  Kiteloop straight into a crowded beach where kids were in the water.  I went straight in and told them that Brighton was a more advanced beach, there were way too many people to be learning and that downwind is chaos.  They desisted, but I got a tonne of lip from the lady insisting that the internet said Brighton is great for beginners and St Kilda was too crowded.  No clue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 05 07 - Hampton with a new Pete