2015 02 11 - St Kilda craziness

Went down to St Kilda with Bruce - forecast was fantastic and his kit has just landed, so the stars looked to be aligned.  We pumped up his kite - which was in immaculate condition - and went through the basics.  No wind so we opted for a swim to cool down.

The wind picked up closer to 6, so we launched Bruce, then it became apparent it was going to come in pretty hard.  I setup and got out - it was pumping.  I had my 10 and was well powered, Bruce landed to get his wetsuit on, but by the time he relaunched it was hitting 25 and kind of dangerous so it was pack up time for him.

On the water it was very heavy.  I had to work everything hard to not be overpowered, but there were sections where I was being pulled downwind regardless.  I'd guess 28 knots or so, which is tricky to hold on the 10.  Got some big air though, but stayed away from any tricks that may have been a little more dodgy.  It was still fun, but I packed it in when it started to get too nasty.  Live to fight another day.

St Kilda was interesting though.  there were a couple of crazy incidents including
1. two guys crossing kites and floating in together
2. one guy that was heading towards me jumped and almost landed right on me.  He was a beginner and laughed.  Idiot.
3. one guy that turned straight into me so that I had to take major evasive action
4. one guy that put his kite up a tree

Just reinforces my normal practice - go out to sea. Far out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 05 07 - Hampton with a new Pete